Monday, 16 May 2011

The Evo has landed

Last weekend I picked up my new car. The Lancer Evolution X GSR FQ-360. I have been very lucky in the past to drive a lot of different generation Evo's but this is the first time I have driven the X with a manual gearbox.



I know from driving the SST versions of the X (both FQ-300 & FQ-330) how solid the cars are and what they are capable of in terms of performance and handling. 



Jump inside the car, the Recaro seats and door cards have been decked out in leather and 'techno' suede. Very grippy and a nice finish, your bum is not going to move an inch. The gear knob and handbrake lever are carbon fibre and the pedals a high gloss aluminium. All in all the car looks the dogs danglies from the inside.

Leather / Suede Recaros


So start her up and the twin HKS exhausts jump into life. The car had 20 miles on the clock when I picked it up and you can certainly tell it has only been driven around the factory and docks. Pulling away you notice just how tight the 5 speed manual box is. It certainly needs loosening up.

I have been told to run the car in properly and take it easy on the clutch and brakes. So on the journey home I join the motorway. I have one eye fixed on the speedo and one on the road because the throttle is so sensitive it feels like it just wants to take off.
Brembos provide huge stopping power


Running the FQ-360 in for the first few hundred miles is probably a bit like being in bed with a naked Cheryl Cole but being told you can't touch her. I have no doubt in my mind what this car can do but it will be a case of good things come to those who wait.

The car has so much torque that driving up a steep hill in fifth gear felt effortless. No need to put my foot down. The car pulls like a steam train.
HKS goodies provide almost 360bhp and 363 lb.ft torque


The best bit about the 50 or so mile journey was the 26mpg I achieved which I was more than chuffed about.

Once home I parked the car up and had a good look around. The front carbon fibre spoiler and rear sharks tooth vortex generator certainly make the car stand out and it gives the car a lot or presence on the road.
Front Carbon Fibre Spoiler

Rear Carbon Fibre Vortex Generator


Will have to wait and see how I get on over the coming months but so far so good for the FQ-360.


No comments:

Post a Comment